Tuesday, August 28, 2012

just write Tuesdays


On Tuesdays, I will be participating in "Just Write" by the extraordinary ordinary blog. Details can be found here.

It's funny how one thing leads to another. (Not *that* way. Get your minds outta the gutter, people.) I gave up wheat earlier this month. Smarty pants Amazon recommended the book "Wheat Belly" to me, I started reading it, compared the data from that book with all that I've heard from some nutrition-minded friends and other sources and decided to test it. Just two weeks. How hard could two weeks be?

Turns out, not very hard. But really when you stand back and think about what's "hard", cutting a food item out of your diet is not hard. Beating cancer is hard. Watching someone die is hard. Suffering from alcoholism is hard. Living in a third world country is hard. Those things - and many more - live under the umbrella of "hard". But refraining from ordering the Very Berry Muffin at Starbucks and buying a gluten-free bread at the grocery store? Pretty easy. And I didn't know it was easy until I got off my (chubby) ass and did it.

So 12 pounds lighter, not a single migraine in that time frame, my back mostly stopped hurting and overall I feel great. G-R-E-A-T. I didn't know what great felt like. I thought how I felt was normal and that I needed to correct the way I thought about it. Wrong. I needed to correct how I physically felt. By changing the stuff that goes into my body.

It's not for everyone, I get it. You may think it's hooey. That's ok. It's working for me and I'm happy.

See? I'm happy.

Me, August 2012.

It's not rocket science but for me, it was a big lesson. Because I'm feeling better, I'm more organized at home and work. Because I'm more organized, I'm less stressed. Because I'm less stressed, I'm sleeping better. Because I'm sleeping better, I've stopped giving Rich the stink eye. Mostly stopped giving Rich the stink eye.

One little thing, one little grain, led to another.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Glad it was helpful! It truly is amazing how some foods can wreak such havoc!
Michelle
http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/08/and-so-it-continues.html