Tuesday, August 21, 2012

just write Tuesdays

On Tuesdays, I will be participating in "Just Write" by the extraordinary ordinary blog. Details can be found here.

Someone is not having a good morning.

Yesterday I heard some spiritual guru on a radio show remind parents not to rush their children. Because they are having their "now" - their present moment. I rolled my eyes, sipped my iced coffee that was spilling down my shirt. "Yeah, right."

Fast forward to this morning, as I'm trying to get out the door for work, Charlie was slowly putting his sandals on - and getting frustrated. Probably because he could sense my angst. Alice was screaming mad. She didn't want to go into her car seat, didn't want me to hold her, didn't want anything. Except for the green ball across the living room - and she wanted to crawl ever-so-slowly to get it herself.

"I have to get to work," I thought. I want to get two key emails out, check in with my boss, get a good start on my morning before all of my meetings hit. Very important day. So much to do. And I want to be productive, so I can wrap up by 5 and head out and beat the worst of the traffic. Because I want to get home, cook dinner, pick up, get baths done. Be productive.

Screaming Alice. Whining Charlie. Sweating, hurried me. So I stopped. I dropped my work bag and sat on the floor. Put my car keys down. Alice stopped screaming. Charlie relaxed. I let them have their "now". I rolled the ball back and forth with Alice for a few minutes, chatted with Charlie about his favorite cartoon and how he wants a Spiderman jumper for his birthday (we're always planning his birthday - which is 4 months away).

This took 5 minutes. That's it. 5 minutes. Back on our feet, out the door, on with our days.

Big lesson learned. I shouldn't roll my eyes at the radio so quickly.

2 comments:

shannon said...

I love this.

Kim B. said...

Great lesson!! I'll occasionally stop and grab my camera in the morning and snap a few pictures that I don't have time or.