Sunday, December 18, 2011

Papa Dickie

My Dad flew in to meet his 2nd granddaughter, his 3rd grandchild.

This is the same age (just a few weeks old) that my folks came to visit Charlie after he was born. So I really appreciate my Dad carrying on this tradition. He spent most of the trip holding, feeding and burping Alice. Doing what a Grandpa should do.

Dad's visit

Dad's visit

Dad's visit

He also squeezed in some very special Charlie + Papa time. A quick trip to the aquarium in Long Beach.

Dad's visit

Long Beach Aquarium

Dad's visit

Just Papa, Charlie and me. Charlie would run through the dark exhibits yelling "Papa Dickie! Where are YOUUUUUUU?!?!" if my Dad strayed too far. It was nice to see my Dad relaxed, enjoying the exhibits on west coast prawns or diving sea birds. In years past, he didn't really take the time to soak up these things. I'm glad he is now.

Dad's visit

We even managed an adults-only dinner at a steakhouse. Big fat steaks and some funny conversation is exactly what I needed during this rough time for me emotionally. And my Dad knew that. I was anxious about leaving Alice but my Mama Bear Marina watched both the kids. And called to reassure me that everyone was fine 10 minutes after we dropped them at the door.

It was an otherwise lazy and slow trip. A trip to the park. Lunch at Mimi's. Lots of movies and couch time.

Dad's visit

Dad's visit

Dad's visit

It's hard living so far from your family. It's hard to say goodbye when you drop them at the airport and realize the next time you see them, your little baby will be crawling.

Dad's visit

But it's wonderful to live in a city I love with a parent who supports me 100%. Who loves me, who takes time to visit, who worries when I'm sad, who feeds and burps my baby or chases my toddler through a public place. Who makes the best chocolate milk ever to feed my soul.

I love you, Dad. Thank you for a wonderful visit.

xo,
Mouse


No comments: