Tuesday, August 9, 2011

what I learned at BlogHer

This past weekend, I attended a large (read: 3500 women) conference in San Diego centered around the power of blogging. Topics ranged from content development, how to monetize your blog and even cyber bullying.

I took a bit of ribbing from friends, family and coworkers for attending the event. It shouldn't be a surprise, really, considering I've been blogging since 2007 and a computer nerd since 1983. My primary objective in the conference was to gain some learnings for my industry and company. My secondary objective was to decide how far I want to take my blog.

The content of my blog boils down to answering one of 2 questions:

1. How am I doing? How's my family? What's going on lately? (The kind of questions that your friends and family ask you from time to time.)
- or -
2. How can you share your story to influence or inspire others? What can you teach others?

My blog usually answers #1, rarely #2. Not that I'm incapable of answering #2, I know that I can. But I won't share the down and dirty, nitty gritty of my life that I believe I must to get to #2. It would compromise my career and the professional self that I have spent many years refining. Sharing on that level would have impacts on my marriage and my family. Not that everything shared has to be negative or private, but I would want to take it deeper than I do now.

And I won't.

The audience of my blog is me. (And the friends and family to follow along for updates on our life here in California.) But this blog is my ". . . chance to edit our story, to keep the best stuff on top, bury the rest, decide how we'll be remembered by others."* A written history of our life as a family, my experiences in motherhood, some beautiful photos.

This doesn't mean I won't work on my design or do the occasional product reviews and giveaways, but that is really second fiddle to what I'm trying to do here.

Unless something shifts dramatically in my life or my focus on building my career in the corporate world, the blog will stay vanilla with a hint of funny.

For those of you who follow, I hope you continue to enjoy it.

xo,
Marci


BlogHer '11 Collage


* Paul Shoebridge & Michael Simons of The Goggles
Welcome to Pine Point
http://interactive.nfb.ca/#/pinepoint





1 comment:

Kate said...

What an amazing time we had there. And, your right..it was ALOT to take in and reflect on. I'm glad you are changing things up, but keeping it familiar. Thanks for pushing me along the blogging experience. :)